Twitter is a great place to find everything from inspiring quotes from your favorite actors to news breaking information about what’s happening all over the world. Here’s a look at some noteworthy tweets, as well as a collection of popular users you should be following.
1. First Tweet, Ever
When Twitter began, "everyone's first tweet was automated," founding team member Dom Sagolla said. It published, "Just setting up my twttr." Co-founder Jack Dorsey (@jack) sent the first tweet, on March 21, 2006. It now has more than 20,904 retweets.
2. Most Followers - Musician
3. Most Followers - Politician
The politician with the most Twitter followers is our country’s very own top leader, President Barack Obama (@barackobama). With 41.3 million followers, Obama frequently shares exclusive updates about what’s brewing in the White House.
Also, as one of the most popular tweets of all time, Obama’s most popular tweet read “Four more years.” with an image of him and the First Lady after he won re-election on November 6, 2012.
4. Most Followers - Company
The company with the most followers on Twitter is YouTube (@youtube). YouTube frequently tweets about what’s new in the world of music, trends, and news to their 39.1 million followers.
5. Most Followers - HipLogiq Employee
Have we mentioned that we’re a little bit competitive around our office? If the employee with the largest Twitter following resulted in that person running the company, it would have to be our very own CoFounder and CTO, Adam Root (@adamroot). Currently, he has 3,039 followers with whom he shares (semi-) inspirational quotes and articles.
6. Other notable Twitter facts and figures
- Twitter has over 500 million registered users, but just 140 million of those are active.
- Eleven Twitter accounts created every second.
- The average Twitter user has approximately 27 followers.
- Twitter’s users are mostly female (55% females and 45% males).
- The country with the highest percentage of Twitter users is the United States (50.99%).
- There are about 750 tweets shared on Twitter every second. That’s about 64,800,000 tweets per day.
7. Social marketing statistics
- More than half of active Twitter users follow their favorite brands and companies various social networks.
- Approximately 57% of all companies that have a presence on social media are active on Twitter.
- Nearly 80% of Twitter users from the United States are more likely to recommend brands and products they follow.
- Nearly 70% of Twitter users from the United states are likely to complete a transaction from one (or more) of the brands they follow.
To learn more about Twitter and how to use it to enhance your small business, visit our website and be sure to follow @socialcentiv on Twitter. SocialCentiv is a Twitter marketing tool that helps small businesses find new customers, initiate conversations and share incentives.
Select statistics provided by MediaBistro.
This post was written by SocialCentiv Contributor Kristina Kopplin.