Author: Sierra Uselton, a Summer 2014 intern at SocialCentiv
The world of social media is growing quickly while still making changes to adapt to users’ interactions each day. There is much to learn about social media and how to use it in a way that’s beneficial for small business. These statistics might be useful to know for your business and they might make you rethink how you approach these social media sites. I’m sure you will be as shocked as I was to read these social media statistics.
- 189 million Facebook users only access their Facebook account using their mobile devices. This means 189 million people don’t actually use a computer to log on to Facebook, and mobile use generates 30% of Facebook’s advertising revenue.
- YouTube reaches more adults in the U.S. between the ages of 18 and 34 than any cable network.
- Every second, two people join LinkedIn.
- The top activity on the Internet is no longer looking at porn; it’s social media. Way to keep it classy, world!
- The fastest growing demographic on Twitter is the 55 to 64 year old age bracket. These are some pretty impressive numbers considering a common misconception that Twitter’s demographic is a majority of teenagers.
- LinkedIn has a lower percentage of active users than Pinterest, Google+, Twitter, and Facebook. LinkedIn gains new users rapidly, but the number of active users is lower than other popular social media sites.
- Approximately 93% of marketers use social media for their business. That means integrating Twitter into your marketing strategy can help your business discover and interact with new customers as well as compete with other businesses.
- Approximately 25% of people who own a smartphone between the ages of 18 and 44 say they can’t remember the last time they didn’t have their phone on them. If people are consistently on their phone, think about all of the people and potential customers you could be reaching (if, in fact, they are on social media sites).
- Only 9% of marketing companies in the United States hire a full-time blogger, even though 62% of marketers plan to incorporate blogging into their marketing plan for the upcoming year.
- Privacy settings are not used by 25% of Facebook users. One fourth of all Facebook users have profiles that anyone with Internet access can view!
Some of these statistics are hard to believe, but you know what they say: numbers don't lie. What are some other interesting statistics about social media marketing?
Follow SocialCentiv on Twitter (@SocialCentiv) for the latest information and tips about using social media marketing to find new customers. SocialCentiv is a Twitter marketing software that assists small business owners in finding quality leads in real time.