Before I share five easy steps to finding success with social media, it’s important for small business owners to realize why having an online presence matters in the first place. Then, I'll share how to create the most effective strategy for your social media campaign(s).
Why: There are many credible studies that show how social media can help businesses, large and small, grow their fan base and increase sales. LinkedIn partnered with market research firm Taylor Nelson Sofres (TNS) to study the correlation between approximately 1,000 small business owners in North America and social media. They found that nearly 81 percent use social media to drive growth. And since social media isn't going away anytime soon, small businesses need to consider joining the movement.
How: Here are five easy ways to find success with social media:
1. Understand your audience - Knowing and understanding your audience is the first step toward creating engaging and compelling content. Many content marketers simply write either what they think will be most effective when they should be writing for the audience they’re hoping to attract. Performing research to determine demographic information is a great way to start, and then you can adjust your writing to cater to the specifics your audience prefers.
2. Share interesting content - Keep your followers intrigued by sharing interesting, shareable updates. One of the easiest ways to lose followers is by sharing boring, bland content. So, with 500 million tweets being posted each day, the struggle to stand out from the crowd remains. Interesting content is exclusive, educational, and engaging.
3. Incorporate a variety of content with your social media strategy - Add some spice to your social media strategy by incorporating other forms of content into the mix. Share videos, photos, and blog posts that your customers can relate to.
Sharing links to your blog is one of the best ways to gain new readers while showing off your expertise on a given topic. In fact, 43 percent of marketers claim to have acquired a customer through their blog, according to Sumall.com.
4. Monitor what others are saying about your business - If a tweet falls in the forest and you’re not there to hear it, does it make a sound? Well, it does if you integrate social listening into your social media strategy. Software solutions like SocialCompass and SocialCentiv allow businesses to listen to what users are saying about their business (and their products and services). When you are listening for questions about your product or service, you can provide answers in a blog post or eBook.
5. Track your efforts with reporting data - What’s the point of using social media as a marketing strategy if you’re not measuring your efforts? Tracking your social media marketing strategies is a great way to learn what works best for your brand, including the types of posts, post times, and customer engagement.
To learn more about finding new customers with social media, contact SocialCentiv. Our Twitter marketing software helps SMBs sift through real-time social media conversations, initiate a conversation, and share special offers.
This post was written by SocialCentiv Contributor Kristina Kopplin.